COVID-19: Omicron restrictions force cancellation of Bryan Adams concert and New Years parties


“We all really needed something like this right now. This New Year’s Eve party could (have been) the start of our way out of COVID. – Lucy Croysdill from Rolla Skate Club

Content of the article

British Columbia’s new COVID-19 restrictions intended to curb the spread of the Omicron variant have led to the cancellation of New Years parties, including skate nights at PNE and Bryan Adams’ concert at Rogers Arena.

Advertising

Content of the article

“It’s super disappointing,” said Lucy Croysdill of Rolla Skate Club, who had previously booked DJs and performers for two New Years skate parties, one for adults and one for all ages, but will now have to reimburse the nearly sold. on events.

“We all really needed something like this right now. This New Year’s Eve party could (have been) the start of our way out of COVID. “

Adams tweeted that his concert was canceled due to new restrictions limiting the capacity of venues of 1,000 people or more to 50%. Tickets will be refunded.

British Columbia’s public health official Dr Bonnie Henry said on Friday that British Columbians can still dine at restaurants on New Years Eve, but people must remain seated and masked. Restaurants, pubs and bars do not face new restrictions on opening hours or alcohol restrictions, although customers are now required to remain seated at their tables and not mingle with people seated at different tables.

Advertising

Content of the article

Henry ordered that from Monday, through the end of January, indoor family reunions, including those at rental or vacation properties, be limited to one household, plus 10 guests, and all the world must be vaccinated.

It also ordered the suspension of all sports tournaments and related travel for all ages.

BC Hockey lists dozens of tournaments by the end of January, some of which have already started.

“It’s incredibly disappointing,” said Melissa Lee, vice-president of the Surrey Female Hockey Association, days before the start of Superheart 2021 for girls under seven nine on Monday. Superheart is the Lower Mainland’s premier women’s tournament and has hosted teams from across Canada and the United States over its 22 year history.

Advertising

Content of the article

“It’s sad for them because it’s a lot of fun.”

Lee said she was aware of at least five other tournaments in the Vancouver area that would be canceled, including one her 12-year-old daughter was eager to play in.

She said the association will have to reimburse the entrance fee for Superheart, after spending the money on gift bags and food.

The Superheart tournament was set to be small this year, so dealing with the cancellation won’t be too difficult, but Lee is more worried about plans for a big tournament slated for the first weekend in February, with 75 teams from Canada and Canada. United States registered to attend. .

The Canadian Tire World Women’s Hockey Festival for U11, U13, U15, U18 and recreational teams from Levels 1 to 4, is part of WickFest 2022, tournaments held under the brand of former hockey star Hayley Wickenheiser.

Advertising

Content of the article

The Surrey association raised $ 100,000 in entry fees for the tournament, which Lee said would mean “millions” in tourism revenue for Surrey, and fears plans could be disrupted as so little happens long after the lifting of the public health order.

“It’s huge,” Lee said. “It will be a big loss. “

The news was a bitter pill for Langley’s hockey dad Jeremy Davis and his son, Linden, and daughter, Evelyn.

He coaches his son’s U11 team and is expected to compete in a three-day tournament in Squamish starting on Saturday.

“It’s terrible, we’re trying to sort things out here,” Davis said.

He wasn’t sure the tournament would go on for the weekend, even if the ban didn’t take effect until Monday. Six of the eight teams, and a few individual players, have already suffered.

Advertising

Content of the article

COVID was already affecting games before the ban, with Linden and Evelyn having games called off because players on the other team were self-isolating, he said.

But, “You burn out and just want your kids to have fun,” Davis said.

Restaurant enthusiasts can no longer mingle and mingle as of Monday, but restaurateurs are grateful not to face 50% capacity caps as restaurants in Ontario will and may remain open to customers. normal hours instead of closing earlier like they did a year ago, Ian said. Tostenson of the BC Restaurant and Foodservices Association.

“People enjoy being in a managed environment,” he said. “That’s what the reasonable person wants. There aren’t a lot of people saying, “Who cares about this variant, let’s ‘uh tear up’.”

The rules governing places of worship, including Christian churches, which celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25, usually with larger congregations than usual for midnight mass on December 24, will not change, and churches , mosques, temples and synagogues can choose to limit capacity to 50 percent or require all worshipers to be vaccinated, as before.

With files from Cheryl Chan, Lisa Cordasco and Patrick Johnston

[email protected]

Advertising

comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a vibrant but civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour of moderation before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread that you follow, or if a user that you follow comments. Check out our community guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.


Comments are closed.